Page 1 of 1

The Red Planet.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:24 pm
by Tawmis
Had this email saved from NASA - dug it up again, cleaning my mailbox - has some cool stuff.

How Earth sounds sound different on MARS...
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/particip ... &type=mars

Also you can record something and upload it and hear how it'd sound on Mars...
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/particip ... voice=true

Snap some Mars photos...
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/participate/photo-booth/

Images from Mars...
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimed ... 90_1100LMJ

Videos from Mars...
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/videos/

Listen to Audio From Perseverance
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/audio/

Re: The Red Planet.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:25 pm
by Tawmis
And I am pretty sure I posted this elsewhere on the forums about sending your name(s) to Mars.
https://mars.nasa.gov/participate/send-your-name/future

Re: The Red Planet.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:40 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Thanks, Tawm! This is very cool. :)

Gee, the sound on Mars sounds muffled. *thinks* Perhaps it's because Mars has a thinner atmosphere? When an object vibrates, it causes movement in the air particles. These particles bump into the particles close to them, which makes them vibrate too, causing them to bump into more air particles -- and that's how you get sound waves. They keep going until they run out of energy. :)

But the atmosphere on Mars is much thinner, and has less than 1% oxygen and more than 95% carbon dioxide. The thinner the air, the fewer vibrations there are. In the vacuum of space, sound wouldn't travel as far. In an absolute vacuum, sound couldn't travel at all (though some scientists disagree).

Re: The Red Planet.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 pm
by Tawmis

Re: The Red Planet.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:01 am
by Rath Darkblade
Gee, Mars looks ... lifeless. I guess that's the point. We all know (or should know) there's very little life on Mars. There might be water, but it's very hard to find.

I still remember when some president - I can't remember which - said we were going to colonise Mars. :lol: All right, fine. All I can say is, we'd better have a way to transport a heck of a lot of water... and keep it from draining away into the soil ... and have some way to produce new water on Mars.

No water? No colony. (I'm sure that's not news to anyone, but that simple fact always makes me giggle when someone says "Let's colonise Mars"). ;)