Page 1 of 1

Stair Quest.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:15 pm
by Tawmis
Finally! A game that centers around your favorite aspect of the Sierra games!
stair-quest-v2_smaller-699tfm3v.png
http://gamejolt.com/games/stair-quest/147399#close
gemcavern-gmsy87uj.png

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 am
by BBP
:lol:
Oh boy oh boy...

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:44 pm
by adeyke
I tried this. The manual and responses are amusing. The backgrounds are nice (though not always actually EGA) However, the gameplay is what it says on the tin. I pushed through to the orb but then gave up.

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:33 pm
by BBP
Just made it to level 8... thinking of making a video playthrough now!

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:53 am
by BBP
BBP wrote:Just made it to level 8... thinking of making a video playthrough now!
Too late for that now, I just finished it! :D

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:03 am
by Rath Darkblade
What in the world.....? Why would anyone make such a game? I'm confused. :?

I remember the difficulty with negotiating stairs in the original Sierra games (e.g. trying to get Sonny Bonds to go up 3 or 4 flights of stairs near the end of PQ1). Why would anyone want to relive that? :roll:

Like I said, I don't get it. :?

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:46 am
by Tawmis
Rath Darkblade wrote:What in the world.....? Why would anyone make such a game? I'm confused. :?

I remember the difficulty with negotiating stairs in the original Sierra games (e.g. trying to get Sonny Bonds to go up 3 or 4 flights of stairs near the end of PQ1). Why would anyone want to relive that? :roll:

Like I said, I don't get it. :?
It's making fun of the frustration that we all experienced with stairs in Sierra games. That's the whole point of it.

It's made by fellow Sierra fans. (I don't think they're on this forum, but they're on the SpaceQuest.net forum).

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:54 am
by adeyke
I don't know if there's some big payoff eventually (like I said, I gave up playing it), but I was disappointed by what I saw. It seems to make the same mistake as a lot of attempted satire: in trying to make fun of a thing, it ends up just being the thing.

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:58 am
by Tawmis
adeyke wrote:I don't know if there's some big payoff eventually (like I said, I gave up playing it), but I was disappointed by what I saw. It seems to make the same mistake as a lot of attempted satire: in trying to make fun of a thing, it ends up just being the thing.
I think it's not so much just satire, as indeed just being "the thing" - because, in all honesty, it's VERY difficult to satire the stairs in Sierra games. Because there was actually very little joy in it.

So I don't think of it as your traditional "satire" and more of "We made a game about the worse thing in Sierra games!" And go in, knowing, that's ALL it is.

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:28 pm
by BBP
I could make that voiced playthrough when playing as the hero this time, if you want to wind it up...

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:36 pm
by Datadog
Tawmis wrote:It's made by fellow Sierra fans. (I don't think they're on this forum, but they're on the SpaceQuest.net forum).
There's at least one on here. :)

And yes, we all apologize for this game. We don't regret it, but we apologize. :)

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:40 pm
by Collector
Datadog wrote:
Tawmis wrote:It's made by fellow Sierra fans. (I don't think they're on this forum, but they're on the SpaceQuest.net forum).
There's at least one on here. :)

And yes, we all apologize for this game. We don't regret it, but we apologize. :)
There are times I wish that phpBB had a "Like" feature.

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm
by pcj
I'm sure there's a mod for that.

Re: Stair Quest.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:24 pm
by Collector
There are, but I like to avoid mods as they can present problems when upgrading to new versions of phpBB. After one such upgrade it gave newly registered members access to the administrator control panel. Uninstalling the mod fixed it.