Page 1 of 2

Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:53 am
by JasefWisener
Originally Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 pm

I was wondering if it's possible to access individual video files from the FMV games (specifically The Beast Within). Just curious.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 am
by Tawmis
I am sure there's a way. If you can, purchase a program called SNAGIT... it's wonderful. I normally use FRAPS, but it requires certain aspects of a game to be running (the technicalness of it eludes me at the moment) - but SnagIt works very nicely. I am actually capturing Torin's Passage and cutting it together to make it like an ongoing cartoon that I am going to upload to Youtube eventually.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 am
by JasefWisener
Well that's kind of what I wanted to do with The Beast Within. I kind of want to get the video files and edit and combine them to sort of make myself a "GK Movie".

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 am
by Collector
Download RAD Video Tools, the format of many of Sierra's videos. It will allow you convert to other formats, too.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:56 am
by JasefWisener
Do I have to install the game to my hard drive or can I get them straight off of the cds?

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:56 am
by Collector
Sorry, I was forgetting that GK2 uses the VMD format. You can find a player Here VAG's SCI Page

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:57 am
by JasefWisener
Thanks. But....do I need to install the game to my hard drive?

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:57 am
by Collector
No.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 am
by JasefWisener
Is there a way to convert a VMD file to say a .mpeg or a .avi? Or even a .wmv?

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 am
by Collector
Vag was going to develop a version that allowed export, but he hasn't done anything with it in years. If you play the games in DOSBox, you can do video capture. other than that, just Tawm's suggestion.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 am
by JasefWisener
Ugh. Well I guess that's the best that I'll be able to do. Thanks guys!

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 am
by Tawmis
I would recommend SnagIt... (I can't remember how much it is...)

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 am
by JasefWisener
$39.95....hmmmm.

Well it seems to be what I'm interested in....I'll have to consider it.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 am
by Collector
Give DOSBox a try, first. It's free.

Re: Video Files

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 am
by JasefWisener
I think I will.