Page 7 of 8

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:01 am
by goatmeal
Tawmis wrote: ↑Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:28 am EDIT: 20 years. Ugh. Just saw copyright was 2003 in the help and about. And I got it new.

Where the Hades has time gone...
I feel the same way, my friend! :lol:

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:00 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Hey! :) Here's what I have on this...


- Ken's jacket and pants um, trousers seem to have changed colours;
- The awning above the doors and windows on the Sierra building are different colours;
- The forest looks different;
- The windows themselves are a different colour (light blue instead of black).


Hope I got everything :D

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:12 pm
by Tawmis
Moment of truth...

The actual...

Image

My version...

Image


The differences?

I took away the hills in the background (turned them the same color as the sky)
I took away the clouds (make them the same color as the sky)
The Sierra building doesn't actually have windows colored in (which I did... odd, they didn't do this...)
The roofs on the first floor are purple, they should be the same color as the top roof
The car crash in the lower right is from Police Quest 1
Ken's clothing color for his jacket and pants was changed
The color around the Sierra sign in the lower right was changed from blue to purple...

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:23 am
by goatmeal
Image

Yes, that "hole" on the bottom right side of the building is rather odd... Never paid that much attention to it before.

I assume it was supposed to be a shadow around that window? The blue outline matches the upper windows, but there is nothing around it that would cast such a large shadow.

Besides that, based on the shadow of the Aluminum Mallard and the eaves of Sierra's Oakhurst building, the sun is positioned to the upper left corner of the screen, so that shadow shouldn't be there.

Add to that, other real-life pictures of the building show that the layout is reversed/flipped horizontally in SQ3(!). It also is missing a large structure jutting out around the entrance, and there doesn't seem to be a window in that shadow/window area...




Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:31 am
by Tawmis
goatmeal wrote: ↑Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:23 am Yes, that "hole" on the bottom right side of the building is rather odd... Never paid that much attention to it before.
I assume it was supposed to be a shadow around that window? The blue outline matches the upper windows, but there is nothing around it that would cast such a large shadow.
Besides that, based on the shadow of the Aluminum Mallard and the eaves of Sierra's Oakhurst building, the sun is positioned to the upper left corner of the screen, so that shadow shouldn't be there.
You can see the shadow of the whole building too goes to the left.

I always thought that big thing to the right was a hole. And that there was some story about there being a hole there. Because the window seen could be a window inside the hole. But then that doesn't make too much sense.

That tree next to the window could be casting a shadow - but the shadow wouldn't be that large unless the sun was positioned next to the tree just off the camera shot. :D

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:11 am
by notbobsmith
That hole there is really strange. Even if the tree was casting a shadow, none of the other trees do the same. And, as goatmeal pointed out, the shadow of the ship is then in thew wrong direction. This would be, of course, an error on the part of the artist. But that shadow/hole still looks very much out of place. Nice touch using it for the PQ1 car crash, though.

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:53 pm
by Tawmis
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:11 am That hole there is really strange. (Snip) Nice touch using it for the PQ1 car crash, though.
It is one of the best ones I've done so far in this thread, I must say! :D

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:20 pm
by Tawmis
There are at least three things wrong with this...

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:34 pm
by Rath Darkblade
I found several! :)

- The picture of someone else (on the back wall - looks like Katrina from QfG4) was replaced by a picture of a horse;

- One of the billiard balls should be red, but it's blue now.

- There should be a musical instrument on the left (behind the Victrola). It is missing.

- There should be a lyre on the right (on the back wall), but it's missing.

Ack! :shock: Is there a musical instrument thief going about? :D

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:54 pm
by Tawmis
Rath Darkblade wrote: ↑Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:34 pm I found several! :)

- The picture of someone else (on the back wall - looks like Katrina from QfG4) was replaced by a picture of a horse;

- One of the billiard balls should be red, but it's blue now.

- There should be a musical instrument on the left (behind the Victrola). It is missing.

- There should be a lyre on the right (on the back wall), but it's missing.

Ack! :shock: Is there a musical instrument thief going about? :D
You found all of them. There's one very, very, very trivial change.

Looking closely is the key...

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:46 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Oh, wait - I think I found it. Can't believe I didn't see it before. *headdesk*

Some of the black notes on the piano are missing. ;)

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:22 am
by notbobsmith
Let's see:

The instruments on the wall. At least I hope it is. Who mounts a trumpet?

I think the horse picture belongs somewhere else.


I don't think the billiards table is in this room either.

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:39 am
by Tawmis
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:22 am Let's see:

The instruments on the wall. At least I hope it is. Who mounts a trumpet?

I think the horse picture belongs somewhere else.


I don't think the billiards table is in this room either.
I wondered the same thing about the trumpet... But no, they're there. As a matter of fact I took some out. ;)
Billards is in that room. However, correct on the horse picture.
Rath Darkblade wrote: ↑Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:46 pm Oh, wait - I think I found it. Can't believe I didn't see it before. *headdesk*

Some of the black notes on the piano are missing. ;)
Correct.

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:41 am
by Tawmis
The real image...
Image

And my edits...

Image

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:33 pm
by Rath Darkblade
A horse is a horse, of course ;)

Where does the horse picture come from, by the way? Just wondering.