Page 4 of 4
Re: Police Quest 3 Play Through.
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:56 am
by Rath Darkblade
Huzzah! It is confirmed. Still, as NBS says, it's a really weird bug.

Re: Police Quest 3 Play Through.
Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2025 12:23 am
by notbobsmith
I actually posted the "bad ending bug" and my save files on scummvm.org. It seems that they already knew about it and patched ScummVM to prevent it. This comment from the code describes what the bug is:
PQ3 plays the wrong ending if the player woke Marie from her coma but still has an extra rose in their inventory. Room 300 checks to see if Marie is awake by testing flags and item locations, but one of these tests is wrong and out of sync with similar tests in other scripts. Giving Marie the rose places it in her room, but purchasing a second rose changes rose:owner from her room back to ego, and the location check fails. We fix this by testing rose:state instead of rose:owner, as all the other scripts do. Sierra fixed this in later versions.
I'm not sure what they mean by being fixed in later versions. The CD compilation is the most current as far as I know.
Re: Police Quest 3 Play Through.
Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2025 9:59 pm
by Tawmis
Yeah I'd need to check - but I think I played PQ3 from GoG... so, I'd think they had the latest version. Would be cool if they posted what version of PQ3 this was fixed - so you can go into File and About and check.
Re: Police Quest 3 Play Through.
Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:07 am
by Collector
I am not sure what version the GOG's is, but you can check the VERSION file. The version that was included in "The 4 Most Wanted" would have been the latest, but it was the same as all of the others, 1.00. If it was fixed, it would have been a patch file and won't be reflected in the version.