Yes, but even with eclipse glasses and the sun setting, the light was so bright I could maybe look at it for five seconds before I'd have to look away. Luckily I'm not suffering adverse effects from it, I hope to be as good as new tomorrow.
Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 5:49 pm
by Rath Darkblade
BBP wrote: ↑Thu Aug 13, 2026 1:56 pm
Yes, but even with eclipse glasses and the sun setting, the light was so bright I could maybe look at it for five seconds before I'd have to look away. Luckily I'm not suffering adverse effects from it, I hope to be as good as new tomorrow.
I've never seen a solar eclipse. That sounds way too bright. Glad to hear you're OK.
Not cool or interesting, but still news: I think I might need that aspirin. Late last night my throat starting hurting and wouldn't quit. I took a lozenge this morning and a hot cup of tea with lemon, ginger and honey, which helped a little. Unfortunately, the lurgy is coupled with a bad headache and an irritation in my throat that won't go away unless I cough, which aggravates the pain.
I hope this is "just" a cold and not something worse, like the flu or a respiratory infection. I guess we'll have to see. In the meantime, I'll go and take that aspirin.
The really unfair thing is that I've always taken care of myself and tried to stay away from lurgies. I guess it got me two nights ago, when I went into the inner city to attend a rehearsal. It probably got me on public transport on the way home. Ow.
Get your eclipse glasses on time! Make sure they're ISO-12312-2 approved.
Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:28 am
by Rath Darkblade
I'm in Melbourne, Victoria. I've lived here about 20 years, and since I'm paying off my mortgage on a 2-bedroom flat (and will finish paying it off in a few months), I will probably stay here.
I've been in Sydney on holiday. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. About as expensive as the Melbourne inner suburbs, so thank all the gods etc. that I have a place to live here ... and that I got in before property prices skyrocketed.
What's it like for you?
Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2026 3:01 pm
by BBP
The Guardian made a list of 20 favourite Busby Berkeley choreographies. I've only seen 2 but my life is more complete now.