Page 3 of 3

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm
by adeyke
For all these hypothetical sequels, I'd rather have a modern adventure game engine. I think a lot of Sierra games have done amazing things in EGA and VGA, but I'd still prefer the graphics be 1080p. Hand-animating at that resolution would be quite a lot of work, but hypothetical wishes don't have budgetary limitations. Also, a new engine could have various interface improvements or quality of life features.

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:57 pm
by Tawmis
adeyke wrote: ↑Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm For all these hypothetical sequels, I'd rather have a modern adventure game engine. I think a lot of Sierra games have done amazing things in EGA and VGA, but I'd still prefer the graphics be 1080p. Hand-animating at that resolution would be quite a lot of work, but hypothetical wishes don't have budgetary limitations. Also, a new engine could have various interface improvements or quality of life features.
Definitely! It's a fictional "What would you do" - so there's no budget here. :lol:

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 pm
by MusicallyInspired
I like thinking in terms of SCI because it's something within my skill set lol. Programming, I mean. I also like figuring out what I can pull off within limitations. When I don't have any limitations my creativity and drive plummets.

Not that I'm actually working on anything....it's just more interesting to think in those terms.

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 pm
by Semi-Happy Partygoer
Collector wrote: ↑Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:03 pm Of all the proposed sequels this I find this one the most intriguing, especially if it were in SCI, like the first two. The scrolling background outside of the windows would add a lot of visual interest. Perhaps the background could be a view resource with enough cels and loops that you would not notice it was looping. You could have a number of these views, each for the different type of terrains needed to keep it all fresh.
That's the main reason I thought of a train myself. I always loved the moving artwork outside the taxi in dagger.

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm
by adeyke
I'm actually not sure about the the moving background outside the window. I do agree that it could be visually interesting. However, it might draw the player's attention away from what's actually happening in the scene. There's a whole art to directing the player's attention via colors, lighting, and motion. and that moving background might work against that. You don't want the thing that's most interesting to look at to also be the least relevant.

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 pm
by Collector
MusicallyInspired wrote: ↑Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 pm I like thinking in terms of SCI because it's something within my skill set lol. Programming, I mean. I also like figuring out what I can pull off within limitations. When I don't have any limitations my creativity and drive plummets.

Not that I'm actually working on anything....it's just more interesting to think in those terms.
This.

Re: Designing Laura Bow III.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:39 pm
by Semi-Happy Partygoer
adeyke wrote: ↑Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm I'm actually not sure about the the moving background outside the window. I do agree that it could be visually interesting. However, it might draw the player's attention away from what's actually happening in the scene. There's a whole art to directing the player's attention via colors, lighting, and motion. and that moving background might work against that. You don't want the thing that's most interesting to look at to also be the least relevant.
I think it could work if done the right way. In LB2, when Laura rode in the taxi, the moving backdrop was very stylized. Limited colors, rather abstract...it never pulled focus away from the foreground, it just added a nice sense of movement outside. Something along those lines outside the train could still be interesting without calling attention to itself.