Page 2 of 2

Re: Laura Bow - The Dagger of Amon Ra Playthrough

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:13 pm
by Collector
Tawmis wrote: ↑Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:06 pm All right - thankfully, even though the GoG version uses SCUMMVM for the game - the required files are still there.

So I was able to configure it and set it up through DOSBox instead.
Perhaps if I get some time I should write some patches to restore missing files from GOG games and configure them for DOSBox. Yea/Nay?

Re: Laura Bow - The Dagger of Amon Ra Playthrough

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:16 am
by Tawmis
Collector wrote: ↑Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:13 pm
Tawmis wrote: ↑Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:06 pm All right - thankfully, even though the GoG version uses SCUMMVM for the game - the required files are still there.
So I was able to configure it and set it up through DOSBox instead.
Perhaps if I get some time I should write some patches to restore missing files from GOG games and configure them for DOSBox. Yea/Nay?
So far, most of the Sierra games I've been using the versions I bought. So that's why I didn't know Dagger of Amon Ra had voices and had removed copy protection.

I do know because of SCUMMVM, some games are missing their required files.

For example, Legend of Kyrandia is missing the game .EXE file.

Re: Laura Bow - The Dagger of Amon Ra Playthrough

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:07 am
by Collector
If a game was originally released on floppy and then shortly after on CD, assume that that the CD release is an MPC release. The exception to this are the Sierra Originals releases where rather than re-releasing them on floppies they were released on CD years after the original release, like LSL1VGA.

Re: Laura Bow - The Dagger of Amon Ra Playthrough

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 pm
by Collector
Tawmis wrote: ↑Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:37 am But what's this file lister program you speak of? :)
I started thinking about this and wrote a quick program to extract game information and file contents by pointing the tool to a game's folder. Might be good for info to add support for game versions that don't install from the existing installers or games that have no new installer. That is, if I ever get time to do such again. If you have a game that does not have a new installer or it does not install right, let me know and I can give you the tool to try.