Page 2 of 4

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:36 pm
by Tawmis
I don't have Windows 8. I will post this thread to the Sierra related things on FB, to try and reach more.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:23 pm
by Katran
Thanks!

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:50 am
by Spikey
Do we have any results in just yet on the Windows 8 thing? Otherwise, I can maybe hijack a friend her laptop to try.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:44 am
by Collector
Nobody responded to Tawm's request.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:07 pm
by Spikey
Both the GOG version and using the installer from here worked to get GK3 running on my ASUS transformer book (T200T), win 8.1.

It may hang after pressing play, but if running it in Win7 compatibility and switching graphics to software renderer made it work just fine.

Only thing that I can't get to work that well are the video's. The Sierra logo video plays just fine, but the intro video is horribly choppy.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 pm
by Collector
Is this with onboard or onchip graphics?

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:35 am
by Spikey
Not sure about the specs (only got it as word processor), I think it said something about a crappy Intel Bay Trail with integrated Intel HD Graphics card. Was surprised that GK3 did anything at all.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:58 am
by Collector
I suspect that your graphics is the reason. The Intel onboard/onchip graphics adapter is... infamous. Though I cannot rule out Win8 as a factor.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:59 pm
by Tawmis
I just got Windows 8 recently on a new laptop; and I have GK3 for GoG so I can do some testing if needed?

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:12 pm
by Collector
Try the installer and see if you get any of the same problems.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 am
by Spikey
Well, I guess I'll try upgrading to Windows 10 one of these days anyway.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8 - wants disc I don't have

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 am
by Tawmis
Katran wrote:So I updated my system to Windows 8.1. Then I re-downloaded and installed GK3 from GOG. Now it's asking me to insert the Disc 1 every time I click on "Play". It's never asked me for the disc before. What's up with that?
I can verify I have the same exact issue with GoG + Windows 8.1.

I copied those same files to my Windows 7 machine, and it launches fine.

So it's something with how Windows 8.1 is trying to handle GoG's installer.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:20 am
by Tawmis
A quick search finds the possible solution. I am banking since the poster and I both have a machine without a CDROM, this is exactly what the issue is.

http://www.gog.com/forum/gabriel_knight ... cd1/post11

Re: GK3 on Windows 8

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:24 am
by Tawmis
Verified that's the fix. Plugged in my cheap USB CDROM drive and gave it a moment to register. Launched the GK from GOG and it works perfect now.

Re: GK3 on Windows 8 - Prompts to insert CD1 *FIXED*

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:11 am
by Collector
You can also just install Daemon Tools.