Rath Darkblade wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 7:24 am
Anyway, in one production, since I was the smallest and lightest policeman, my job was to cling on to the police sergeant's arm, shuddering and acting scared.

At one point, he shoved me away -- so I jumped into his arms and gave him a "Save me!" look.

The audience loved it.
(Of course we rehearsed it a lot beforehand, to make it look spontaneous).
Daww, that's cute!
Rath Darkblade wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 7:24 am
You don't really need singing lessons to sing rock 'n roll, since rock 'n roll relies on the singer's ability to sing loudly (at least
mezzo-forte or louder, in order to be heard over the instruments) most of the time, and singing loudly is easy.
Having performed in a choir for most of the last 20 years, I think I can say that it's much harder to sing softly -- especially
piano or softer -- and still be heard. The hardest bit isn't just singing softly and still being heard over the instruments, but singing softly
and making the words intelligible. (Try singing
pianissimo while an orchestra -- or even a couple of guitars! -- play in the background, and you'll see what I mean).
Anyone can shout the words of a song. It takes training and discipline to be able to
whisper the words (e.g. to heighten the drama) and still be heard.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. If you look at rock and nefarious-ish vocals, like Kurt Cobain and Billy Corgan, these sound awful to the point that this turns off people, but it sounds matching to the music and gives it more of the right credibility and emotion that you would not necessarily get with a clean or trained voice.
I know of James Hetfield and Les Claypool that they took up singing classes late in their career. If you listen to Metallica's Creeping Death, Master of Puppets or even Enter Sandman, the grit of the voice adds to the raw feel of the music. On later lives, when he's had singing training, like on Symphony & Metallica, he diaphragm sings and belts out these songs, making them worse by sounding better.
Luckily Les didn't manage to lose the unique cartoony voice that is as much part of the music as the riffing bass and the lyrics, but he's had times - on Videoplasty for instance - where he just tries to belch out the notes too well and that takes away of the cartoony element.
You were familiar with Henk Poort and Floor Jansen doing the Phantom Of The Opera? Henk Poort, who is an accomplished operetta singer and who can basically sing anything, took up singing classes to get the metal rasp.
Incidentally I think this is why Tim was not a successful rockstar, though he had a great voice and charisma, a great band behind him with the likes of Michael Kamen and Dick Wagner in the ranks, wrote pretty good lyrics and got some great original tunes - his voice was trained as choir boy, with Methodist hymns. He "covered the waterfront" initially, doing throaty ballads, a staccato pop song called I Do The Rock,
Paradise Garage, and also several others, that just don't suit his voice as well as, say, Wall Of Sound, like the Roxy version of Sweet Transvestite or Toxic Love.
He did a "love duet" ish in a cheap Christmas Carol version for Scrooge-aspiring parents, that you can find
here - you have Tim here opposite Jodi Benson who is excellent, but Tim just sounds, well, not bad but out of place.
Rath Darkblade wrote: ↑Tue Sep 01, 2026 7:24 am
Yep, falsetto is hard. i trained my voice for years before I was finally able to sing in falsetto. (Just for a goof, i tried earlier this year to sing "The Hills Are Alive" from "The Sound of Music", and was able to hit the notes perfectly on the soprano scale. But maybe, as a baritone-bass, I shouldn't do that? Can it harm my voice?

Just wondering).
If you use your voice a lot you need to be careful - over-screaming is the worst what you can do. Falsetto singing is not bad for your throat but it requires training (you keep part of your vocal chords relaxed), and overdoing it is never good.
Anyway, back to Tim. I thought long and hard of my favourite Tim moment, there's that beautiful
Hair documentary where he speaks French, the legendary
Pluck Song, the one that prompted some soul at the Q&A 2017 to ask him if he ever found his
tambourine (Tim replied a loud No), his
marvellous performance as an adorably awkward elocution teacher in Oscar, attempting German in
Surabaya Johnny, as Nefarious in
Toonstruck...
I have no idea. I can't choose.
In my fan letter to Tim, I wrote that, pressed for an answer, I would choose Gabriel Knight 3.