Yes... I tried following the path of the Elves, but simply could not work it out - so in the end, I just jumped after Samson. Did I miss much?Tawmis wrote:Awesome! I keep thinking I get close to the end; but then it opens new things (and I am anal enough that I have to do EVERY War Table mission that appears...)
So at the moment, I am following Samson - and I am in the Elven Temple. I have decided to follow the path of the Elves rather than just jump in the hole to follow Samson.
And yes, watching the end does reveal quite a lot... but also raises new questions.
I agree about the hairstyles - they look godawful. Skyrim had better hairstyles, and it's a much larger game - but Skyrim hair looked like hair. The hairstyles in DAI look like someone took a shiny plastic mold and stuck it on their bare scalp.
Personally, I was much more annoyed by the incredibly huge number of side-quests, and the fact that it would take so! Long!! To!!! FINISH!!!! ARGH. ARGH. ARGH.
I appreciate EA put a lot of effort into making the game more "believable" and "realistic", but there's a fine line between realism and obsessive pedantry. I did not and could not enjoy trying to find all those tiny little things. Having said that, I did enjoy finding new and more powerful items (rings, weapons, armour etc.), even though I knew that there would be others just around the corner.
The main story, the backstory, the challenging combat, and the detailed NPCs, are this game's strong suits. The side-quests - with a few exceptions (such as getting yourself a horse) - are not. Most of the side-quests, I found, were an utter waste of time. Again, Skyrim showed how to do side-quests: be brief. Most of the Skyrim side-quests are simple: speak to character A, find item B, bring item B to character A. Bang! Done. I hope I'm not coming across as impatient, but for just one side-quest - fully exploring the Forbidden Temple in the desert map - I had to find seventy-two shards (tiny items, often in nearly inaccessible locations), often while under attack and fighting for survival, with a flawed map and an often malfunctioning camera-view. No fun at all. And even once I found six of the blasted things, my "reward" was a paltry +2% to fire resistance or +2% to frost resistance. Whoop-de-doo.
All in all, DAI is still a major improvement on DA2, but miles and miles behind DAO. (And yes, Tawm, even considering DAO's Deep Roads - which I always thought was very fun, if extremely disturbing).
Comments?